Friday, October 3, 2008

Sebastien Grainger And The Mountains' Debut


It's October and the year is coming to a close which means that there are only 2 months and a bit before year end, best of lists are to be made. A couple of albums I've been anticipating lately are the new Killers, Kanye and Jay-Z but along with those big acts I could not wait to hear Sebastien Grainger's solo debut. The EP was nice to hear but no anticipates an EP as much as a full length. I know there are more releases to look forward to but I can't think or any others.

With that being said the solo album leaked last night and was a nice surprise to wake up to. I'm about 3/4ths done the album and I'm really liking it on first listen. The most excellent "Ways To Come Home" and "American Names" make an appearence on the album and there are also tracks on here that remind you of DFA 1979, Black Rebel Motorcycle and Hot Hot Heat. Also, people who are huge fans of the aforementioned DFA1979 will know that the Rhythm Method is Grainger's side project dance band and they have a "Feature" on the last track of the album.

I was pondering changing my year end best of list to include EP's because I loved Grainger's so much but if this album holds up I could see it making it onto my list. I don't really like giving any details on the year end list but whatever.

Side Note: Someone was trying to argue with me that Radiohead's "In Rainbows" came out in '08 - I know it was physically released in stores on like January 2nd but it was released on the internet and Disc Box form before then. I'm also a stingy loser when it comes to release years. Anyways, enjoy the album.

Check it out HERE.

No comments: