Monday, October 20, 2008

Deerhunter's "Microcastle"

By now most of you indie rocker types have probably heard of this band by now. If not, you probably will soon enough. Their 2007 "Cryptograms" was a highly touted album and considered by many one of the year's best. At the time, I didn't enjoy it that much - like it was OK but I didn't see what the fuss was about. Fast forward to about a year later, their new album "Microcastle" leaks and I, of course, download it. I thought it was a just a "Meh" album. Then things began to change, songs like "Agoraphobia" and "Never Stops" really began to stick and I found myself listening to the album all the way through repeatedly.

In case you don't know Deerhunter aren't anything like you'd picture them in your head after reading their name. They are mellow, distorted and I cringe to use the term, shoe-gaze'ish. You may not like the album at first but it is definitely a grower. The last two tracks: "Neither Of Us, Uncertainly" and "Twilight At Carbon Lake" are killer as well.

Check out Microcastle HERE.

No comments: