Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Twilight Singers' "Blackberry Belle"

Up until about 6 to 8 months ago, I only knew Greg Dulli's name because he is the answer to the Foo Fighters trivia question: "Who is the only other person to play on the Foo's self titled debut?" And for me not to have given the Afghan Whigs (I'm downloading their "Gentlemen" album right now) or Twilight Singers a listen until now is a real shame on my part.

"Blackberry Belle" came out in 2003 and I probably wouldn't have listened to it if it weren't for TV On The Radio's "Wolf Like Me". Quite odd, eh? Well, I stumbled across a Twilight Singers medley of "Wolf Like Me" and JT's "Lovestoned" and sandwiched between was this AMAZING song called "The Killer". After downloading the album I just kept listening to that one song and it skyrocketed onto the "Top 25 Most Played" playlist on my Ipod. Eventually, I started to actually listen to the album as a whole and as time wore on the album got better and better. It's a dark, brooding album that would be the perfect soundtrack for a midnight road trip through a desert at night. "Teenage Wristband" and "Fat City (Slight Return)" are of the few standout tracks here, they showcase how great Dulli's voice is. If you dig this, you may want to check out the Gutter Twins which pairs him with Mark Lanegan.

Enjoy Blackberry Belle HERE (Real talk, no RickRoll)

2 comments:

co said...

yeah thats a good one.

James said...

One of my top, top groups. All the Twilight Singers albums are incredible, especially Powder Burns.